Sunday 6 December 2020

Building on the rock or without a foundation (Ch 6)

Luke Chapter 6

INTRODUCTION – Jesus chooses the 12 (v12-16) and his work of healing continues (v17-19) However, this chapter is packed with teaching.
(i) Keeping the sabbath special should not stop you from doing works of necessity and mercy (v1-11).
(ii) Blessing is found not in ‘living for the moment’ but with eternity in view (v17-26).
(iii) The love that we show should not be restricted but shown to all (v27-36).
(iv) Be careful in your attitude to the wrongs of others, remember forgiveness and self-examination is the key (v37-42).
(v) Fruit and obedience will show we have heard what Jesus says (v43-49)

REFLECTION: There are so many ways we try to wriggle out of what Jesus is teaching us. Works of necessity and mercy might not leave much time for God on his day.  We can expect to avoid being poor or hungry or sad or hated and yet always to be blessed. We can say we love everyone but practical love is too often withheld. We can jump on the ‘judge not’ phrase to justify an unaccountable life, but skim over the “forgive and you will be forgiven”. Yet the whole chapter concludes with the challenge to show fruit and obedience or fall like a house built without foundation. The rock is Jesus, and it is only when we build our life on him, we can understand and practice his teaching.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father thank you for Jesus and his teaching. As I reflect on these passages today open my eyes, my mind and my heart to see and understand and respond to what you are saying to me. Today is your day, help me to keep it special and to show mercy. You tell me that blessing is found in the unexpected places of poverty, hunger, sorrow and being hated. While I do not seek these things, give me strength when they come that I might know your blessing in them. Heavenly Father, as you teach me about relationships, help me to love and forgive as you want me to where you have placed me today. Grant me the faith and humility to plant my feet on the rock, to build my life in Jesus by faith and obedience, so that the fruit of the spirit might be increasingly seen in my life and heard on my lips.  In Jesus name, we pray. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment