Thursday 3 December 2020

Repentance, forgiveness, and signs (Ch 3)

Luke Chapter 3

INTRODUCTION:  So much here about Jesus (i) Jesus is announced from heaven as the son who God loves and is pleased with (v22). (ii) Jesus is more powerful than John, who is not worthy to untie his sandals (v16). (iii) Jesus is pictured as the one who will gather the wheat but burn up the chaff (v17). (iv) Jesus the one who is God’s salvation (v6)  announced by John (v4).
So how will I respond to this Powerful Son of God who came to save but one day will Judge? It must be by repentance which leads to forgiveness v3, and transformation v8.

REFLECTION: Key in the preaching of John is repentance (v3) which leads to forgiveness (v3) and a changed life (v8). To rely on religious heritage is not sufficient (v8b) when judgement comes (v9). A heart change is needed (v8a). Yes, we all know others who need to repent, but John had a message about repentance for everyone he spoke to. For the crowd “be generous” (v10-11), for the tax collectors “be ethical” (v12-13), for the soldiers “be honest” (v14), and for Herod “be pure” (v19-20). I need to remember that repentance is not patting myself on the back that I have not sinned like others. Repentance is asking God to show me my sin, turning from it and allowing God to change my life so that I can “produce fruit worthy of repentance” (v8)

PRAYER Heavenly Father thank you that you sent Jesus your Son who you loved into this world for my salvation. Thank you that Jesus came to gather the wheat into your barn. I confess that too often I look at the sins of others instead of asking what repentance means for me. Lord open my eyes to see my life as you see it. Teach me to stop judging myself by the standards of others or my ideas, or by comparing myself to those around me. Lord help me to listen to your voice challenging my thoughts and my words and my deeds. Show me the ways I have been selfish, unethical, dishonest or immoral. Lord grant me a humble and repentant heart that I might know your forgiveness. Work in my life and my church family by the power of your spirit, so those signs worthy of repentance will be seen in generosity, uprightness, honesty and purity. I ask this tor Your good and Your glory. In Jesus hame. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment