Thursday 24 December 2020

Listening to Jesus? (Ch 24)

Luke Chapter 24

SUMMARY: 
v1-8 - Women discover the empty tomb and are told Jesus has risen.
v9-12 - They return to the disciples who think they are talking nonsense but Peter runs to the tomb.
v13-27 - Two disciples walking to Emmaus meet the risen Jesus but do not recognise him.
v28-32 - They arrive and sit down for a meal and recognise Jesus as he breaks the bread.
v33-49 - They return to tell the others and Jesus appears to them too.
v50-53 Jesus ascends into heaven.

REFLECTION: Walking with Jesus and listening to his word.
So often Jesus had explained things to the disciples. Now Jesus had been crucified, we know he had risen but soon Jesus would leave them to ascend to heaven (v51) How would they then understand? When the word that became flesh was no longer with them they needed to learn to search the scriptures the word God has given for us today.
As the account of the two waking on the road unfolds -
(i) They do not recognise Jesus but that seems deliberate (v16)
(ii) They do not understand Jesus had died to redeem to save (v20-21)
(iii) Jesus then points them to the scriptures for the answer (v27) why not just let them see who he was and that he had risen. It seems he was teaching them to look in the scripture for answers.
(iv) He does reveal who he is as they sit at the table (v31)
(v) Then they said, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the scriptures to us?" I long for that as I read the scriptures that Jesus by the power of his spirit would open my eyes and heart to God.
(vi) Later he opened the minds of the other disciples to understand the scriptures (v45)

PRAYER: 
Loving Heavenly Father, as I walk and do not understand what is happening to me and around me draw alongside me by your spirit. I might look for many things but help me to allow you to point me to your word and use your spirit to open my heart and mind. When I wonder where Jesus is may my heart burn within me as you speak to me help me to see Jesus. Thank you for this Gospel written by Luke and all it teaches us about Jesus. Help me to take the time to listen each day to the word you have for me. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment