Friday 11 December 2020

A very powerful thing. (Ch 11)

 Luke Chapter 11

SUMMARY:  
Lessons about prayer (i) v1-4 a pattern for prayer, (ii) 
v5-13 persistence and expectancy in prayer.
Lessons about power (i) v14-28 Jesus is stronger than Satan, (ii) v16, 29-32 power is not used to impress but power would raise Jesus from the dead (the sign of Jonah - v29)  (iii) v33-36 the power of light.
Rebukes for the legalist (Woe...) v37-54 (i) Look inside v39, (ii) Love God and Justice v42 (iii) Seek humility v43 (iv) Life is seen v44 (v) Listen to the TRUTH v47, (vi) Point others to the TRUTH  don't take IT away v52.

REFLECTION:
Three little verses about light speak powerfully. v34-36.  
A life full of light is a beautiful picture  v36 "if your whole body is full of light, and no part of if it dark, it will be completely lighted", a life that radiates for Jesus. 
What do I let into my life? v34 "Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness."
"Your eye is the lamp of your body."
When I see God's blessing - does thankfulness fill my heart?
When I see others succeed - does jealousy grow in my heart?
When I see the hardship of others - does compassion fill my heart?
When I see impurity - does my heart dwell there?
When I see other Christians - does that longing for fellowship draw me to them?
When I see others hurt those I love - does an unforgiving spirit take over my heart?
When is see... what do I see today and how is that filling my heart?
In so many ways the eye is the lamp of your body.

PRAYER: Loving Heavenly Father thank you Jesus the light of the world who came to bring light into the darkness of this world, community, lives, and hearts. As I look to Jesus now help me to turn from every darkness and to let your light shine in its place. Forgive me for harbouring jealousy, for dwelling on impurity and for living with an unforgiving heart. Help me to turn to your light and to learn humility, purity and forgiveness and let THE LIGHT shine in my heart. I pray for those who are struggling in darkness and seeking the light, may they find Jesus and find forgiveness, life and hope today. In Jesus name, we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment