Thursday 10 December 2020

Where do I find my Joy? (Ch 10)

 Luke Chapter 10

SUMMARY: 
v1-16 Jesus sends the seventy-two out into the harvest like lambs among wolves. 
v17-24 They return rejoicing and Jesus reminds them of the greatest Joy.
v25-37 Jesus surprised people when asked how to enter that greatest Joy.
v38- 42 Martha is challenged to choose the one thing that is needed. Jesus.
 

REFLECTION: Imagine snakes trampled, the enemy defeated, nothing can harm us (v19) not even a virus. What could be better?  Jesus says rather 'rejoice that your names are written in heaven' (v20). But how can we inherit this eternal life (v25). Jesus tells us 'Love God and love my neighbour' (v27).  So often we set the bar of love too low and want to restrict who we love and how we love (v29). To show costly mercy to whoever God puts in your path is love (v33), 'do this and you will live' (v28). And when it comes to loving God, often we love to rush around and miss the one thing that is needed - to sit at the feet of Jesus (v42). Where is our Joy - spending time with Jesus, showing mercy to others, that our hope is heaven because when we trusted in Jesus our names were written there.

PRAYER: 
Heavenly Father while there are many things we are restricted from doing in these unsettling times we thank you for the opportunity to stop, sit and listen to Jesus. Help today to do this one thing that is needed.
Lord, I confess that while I might talk a lot about loving others I have much to learn. Forgive me for the times when I have walked by and failed to show mercy to those in need. Give me eyes to see the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of those around me and the heart to reach out.
Lord thank you for so many things which bring joy to my heart today. As I rejoice in so many blessings, guard my heart so that it will always find the greatest Joy in the hope of heaven as I trust in Jesus. 
In Jesus name, we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment