Wednesday 23 December 2020

Jesus was born for this. (Ch 23)

 Luke Chapter 23

SUMMARY: 
v1-25 - False accusations (v2), passing the buck (v7, 11), injustice (v14, v25). How could this happen - perhaps we should ask Jesus (see Ch 18v31-32)
v26-43 - Jesus is led to his death with two criminals and one finds paradise.
v44-49 - As Jesus dies there is darkness (v44),  the temple curtain is torn (v45), he speaks to his father (v46), and the centurion cries out (v47).
v50-56 - Joseph and the women make practical arrangements to bury Jesus, there is no doubt he has died.

REFLECTION: While all of us are born and will one day die, Jesus was born to die.
There are so many things wrong with the trial of Jesus and his death sentence. It was clear to all he did not deserve to die - even the criminal on the cross said "we are punished justly for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But his man has done nothing wrong." (v40)
The sinless son of God, hung there for me, I deserved death, he took my place, so I might know life.
The curtain was torn in two as Jesus opened the way for us to enter God's presence through his blood shed for us. In this dark hour, he took the punishment for my sin so that I could go free when I trust in him. Jesus, thank you, Jesus, thank you.

PRAYER: 
Loving 
Heavenly Father, thank you that you so loved the world that you sent your one and only son into this world, to die for me. Thank you that by his death he took the punishment I deserved so all who believe in him will not perish but have everlasting life. As Christmas draws near and we remember the savour in a manger, may your spirit move in many hearts to look to that same savour on the cross and come to know life in his name. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment